Practical Vs Theory
Gain the basic underpinning knowledge and grounding for a future within the plumbing trade. Take your first steps towards being a qualified plumber, gaining practical and transferable skills in our plumbing workshops. You will study topics such as: above ground drainage, copper, plastic and low carbon steel pipework and plumbing science.
What Does The Programme Include
You will be required to undertake 1 week work experience on a construction site, in a workshop or in a construction related field. You will also be expected to take part in community projects.
4 GCSEs at grades 3/D or above including English and maths, or a construction related Entry Level course.
Worried about your grades?
Whatever your results, we want to assure you that extenuating circumstances will be considered should you not have the grades indicated above.
We will review each application on a case-by-case basis to ensure you get a place on the course most suitable for you.
One of the ways we do this is through a very effective ‘6 weeks to success programme’ that operates from the first day you start your course. This includes support such as (but not limited to):
- Allowing you to change courses if you change your mind in the first 6 weeks
- Moving you between course levels if you are finding your current level too easy / too hard
- Incorporating English and maths GCSE resits in to your timetable if you don’t meet the grades you need
- One-to-one reviews with your academic tutor to ensure you are progressing and achieving well
Our course enquiries and admissions team are available remotely throughout this unprecedented period. They can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any further questions.
How The Course Will Be Assessed
You will be assessed through written paper based assessments which will take place at the end of each theory unit. Ongoing practical assessments will be completed through a series of tasks to specification which will increase in complexity through the year.
You will require a uniform consisting of steel toe capped boots and overalls which can be purchased from our website. During your interview you will also sit an online suitability assessment. The result of this, plus your previous academic achievements and maturity will determine the level of course you are offered.
Potential Future Career
On successful completion of this course, you can progress to the Plumbing Diploma Level 2, or to job roles such as a Plumbing and Domestic Heating Technician Apprentice.
You will cover many topics including:
- Structure of the Construction Industry
- Fundamental Safe Working Practices
- Environmental and Sustainability Measures in Domestic Dwellings
- Site Preparation for Working in the Construction Industry
- Above Ground Drainage
- Copper Pipework
- ;Plastic Pressure Pipework
- Low Carbon Steel Pipework
- Installation, Repair and Maintenance of Plumbing Systems
- Plumbing Science
The fantastic tutors and industry standard facilities have given me the skills I need to progress to the plumbing Industry and undertake further gas fitting qualifications.