Practical Vs Theory
This qualification has been designed for learners who wish to develop an understanding of autism and knowledge about how to support individuals with autism.
Autism is a spectrum condition that affects how a person communicates with others and how they interpret the world around them.
There are around 700,000 people in the UK with autism – more than 1 in every 100. Having a clear understanding of the misconceptions, diagnoses and support surrounding autism are just some of the essential skills needed when working in mental health.
You need to be aged 19 or over at the start of the current academic year to be able to enrol on one of our Distance Learning courses. You will also need to be working at or above Level 1 in English.
We will assess your level of English before we enrol you onto the course and can signpost you to our Functional Skills English courses to upskill if necessary.
Fees, Finance & Funding
Potential Future Career
On successful completion of this qualification, you could progress to:
- Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Working with Individuals with Learning Disabilities
- Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Specific Learning Difficulties
To be awarded the Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Autism, learners are required to successfully complete 6 units:
- Unit 01 Introduction to autism
- Unit 02 Using a person-centred approach to support individuals with autism
- Unit 03 Communication and social interaction in individuals with autism
- Unit 04 Sensory processing, perception and cognition in individuals with autism
- Unit 05 Supporting positive behaviour in individuals with autism
- Unit 06 Supporting individuals with autism to live healthy and fulfilled lives
Adam’s creativity and dedication gained him a Distinction and secured a place on the 3D Animation and Visual Effects degree at University of Hertfordshire. A solid foundation for his future career.