Practical Vs Theory
This qualification aims to assist learners to develop their knowledge and understanding of the principles of caring for those with dementia and can be used to support the underpinning knowledge and understanding needed for those working in or towards a dementia care role.
Dementia affects around 820,000 people in the UK. This figure is likely to rise to one million by 2025 and two million by 2051. It is one of the main causes of disability in later life and with research being desperately underfunded, it costs the UK over £26 billion a year.
Understanding dementia and the person-centred care that is required is fundamental to high quality care.
You need to be aged 19 or over at the start of the current academic year to be able to enrol on one of our Distance Learning courses.
You will also need to be working at or above Level 1 in English.
We will assess your level of English before we enrol you onto the course and can signpost you to our Functional Skills English courses to upskill if necessary.
Fees, Finance & Funding
Potential Future Career
On successful completion of this qualification, you could progress to:
- Level 3 Certificate in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care
- Level 3 Diploma in Health and Social Care (Adults) for England
To be awarded the Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Dementia Care, learners are required to successfully complete 7 units:
- Unit 01 Dementia awareness
- Unit 02 The person-centred approach to the care and support of individuals with dementia
- Unit 03 Understand equality, diversity and inclusion in dementia care
- Unit 04 Understand the administration of medication to individuals with dementia using a person-centred approach
- Unit 05 Understand the factors that can influence communication and interaction with individuals who have dementia
- Unit 06 Understand behaviour in the context of dementia
- Unit 07 Understand the benefits of engaging in activities in social care
I have been able to explore lots of Art disciplines here at New College Stamford to find my dream career. I am now going to University to study to be an Art Therapist!