Practical Vs Theory
This qualification aims to give learners the knowledge and understanding they require to work with individuals with learning disabilities or difficulties including the principles of safeguarding and positive risk-taking and an awareness of the autistic spectrum.
Around 1.5 million people in the UK have a learning disability. Owing to the fact that they are likely to find it more difficult than others to describe their symptoms, a good knowledge of legislation and the healthcare system, as well as an understanding of signs and symptoms of various conditions, is essential for anyone working with individuals with learning disabilities.
You need to be aged 19 or over at the start of the current academic year to be able to enrol on one of our Distance Learning courses.
You will also need to be working at or above Level 1 in English.
We will assess your level of English before we enrol you onto the course and can signpost you to our Functional Skills English courses to upskill if necessary.
Fees, Finance & Funding
Potential Future Career
On successful completion of this qualification, you could progress to:
- Level 2 Certificate in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care
- Level 2 Certificate in Working in the Health Sector
To be awarded the Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Working with Individuals with Learning Disabilities, learners are required to successfully complete 6 units:
- Unit 01 Understand the context of supporting individuals with learning disabilities
- Unit 02 Principles of safeguarding and protection in health and social care
- Unit 03 Introduction to personalisation in social care
- Unit 04 Principles of positive risk-taking for individuals with disabilities
- Unit 05 Introductory awareness of Autistic Spectrum Conditions
- Unit 06 Principles of supporting individuals with a learning disability to access healthcare
Declan was honoured at the 2022 National Apprenticeships Awards, and invited to join the prestigious Apprenticeship Ambassador Network, which is sure to open up a wealth of opportunities.