Practical Vs Theory
This qualification is designed to provide you with the underpinning knowledge, skills and competencies to use counselling skills ethically and safely in a variety of contexts and roles.
This qualification is for:
- Those starting the first level of training as a professional counsellor
- Those who want to learn counselling skills in other professional or helping roles
- Those who want to improve their professional and personal relationships as part of personal development
This qualification could lead to employment or increase employability for those whose role is to support others in e.g. health and social care work, teaching and learning, advocacy and mediation, support and project work, other helping roles.
You will study this course for 3 hours a week for 28 weeks.
Classes run on Tuesdays from 5.30pm to 8.30pm.
What Does The Programme Include
You will learn through interactive lessons and assignments using innovative, up to date practices to enable you to gain an awareness of counselling skills and how to use them.
No formal qualifications are required, simply an interest in the subject. You must be 19+ to study this course.
How The Course Will Be Assessed
You will be assessed through classroom activities, assignments and personal journal/diary.
Fees, Finance & Funding
The full fee for this course is £811.
However you may be eligible to pay a reduced fee if:
You already hold a Level 2 qualification already (5 GCSEs A*/9 to C/4 or a qualification flagged as a full Level 2), then the course fee would be £362.
You already hold a Level 2 qualification already (5 GCSEs A*/9 to C/4 or a qualification flagged as a full Level 2), and you are unemployed, the course fees are waived completely and there are no fees to pay. Evidence would need to be provided. £0.
If you do not know whether you have a Level 2 qualification, you maybe able to access your ‘Personal Learning Record’ (PLR). More information about your PLR can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-access-your-personal-learning-record
This Level 2 course does not qualify you to practice as a Counsellor. However, people on this course have developed their careers in:
- Customer Service Roles
- Advice and Guidance
- Health and Social Care
- Team Leading
Potential Future Career
Successful completion of this course will allow you to progress to:
- Level 3 Award in Counselling Skills and Theory
- Level 3 Diploma in Counselling Skills
You will study the following units:
- Using Counselling Skills
- Introduction to counselling Skills Theories
- Diversity and Ethics in the use of Counselling Skills
- Counselling Skills and Personal Development
- The importance of being a skilled helper
- Different types of counselling skills and how to use them
- Counselling theories
- Establishing a counselling contract
- Structuring a counselling skills session
- Awareness of difference