Practical Vs Theory
This course will build on your existing art or design skills whilst allowing you to explore the more challenging elements such as drawing, illustration, mixed media painting, printmaking, interior design and animation. In addition, you will experiment building your photographic and Photoshop skills. You will explore your creativity by managing your own Final Project independently, and final outcome.
What Does The Programme Include
You will have access to detailed weekly step-by-step plans and notes to help you with your research, reviewing your own work and creating a stunning portfolio . Each project will gradually build skills of the one before, so your final project will demonstrate a higher level of skill and thinking, to support your potential transition to a Level 3 Art & Design course.
4 GCSEs at grades 3/D or above, including English or maths, and either an art or design-based subject. You will also need to bring a portfolio of work to your interview to demonstrate your artistic strengths, and you will need to submit a summer project given to you after the close of the academic year.<?xml:namespace prefix = “o” ns = “urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office” />
We also run a ‘6 weeks to success programme’ that operates from the first day you start your course. This includes support including
· Allowing you to change courses if you change your mind in the first 6 weeks ‑subject to availability
· Moving you between course levels if you are finding your current level too easy / too hard, subject to availability
· One-to-one reviews with your academic tutor to ensure you are progressing and achieving well
· Adding English and maths GCSE resits in to your timetable if you don’t achieve a Grade 4 or above
How The Course Will Be Assessed
Projects will be assessed as you complete them, and you will receive detailed feedback and a set of targets as to where you need to develop your skills as you begin the next project. This structure will help you steadily improve your art and design skills and arrive at the final project with a far greater level of self-confidence.
You will require an initial art pack costing £40 in September. Although no formal work experience is required you are encouraged to take up opportunities to develop your professional knowledge through placements, competitions and communicating with practitioners in the field.
Potential Future Career
On successful completion of this course, you can progress onto the Art and Design, Photography, Graphic Design, Creative Media Production or Fashion Extended Diploma Level 3, you will also need to have passed your GCSE English and Maths at 4 or above to enrol on these courses.
You will study a range of units including:
- Unit 1: Introduction to Materials, Processes and Technical Skills in Art & Design.
- Unit 2: Introduction to Contextual Research in Art & Design.
- Unit 3: Introduction to communication skills in art & design
- Unit 4: Solving 2D creative problems
- Unit 5: Solving 3D Creative Problems
- Unit 6: Solve Time-Based Creative Problems
- Unit 7: Developing and Producing a Personal Project in Art & Design