Practical Vs Theory
Gain an introduction to key business areas such as marketing, operations, finance, human resources and management with a special focus on decision-making. You will learn essential managerial skills alongside techniques to help you become an analytical problem solver through the investigation of the strategic decisions that all businesses have to make.
What Does The Programme Include
You will learn through the investigation of contemporary case studies, presentations, group work and research projects. Throughout the year you will benefit from meeting professionals from the business industry and take part in various visits to provide you with a valuable insight into the sector. You will also be encouraged to take part in work experience as part of your course to give you real experience within a business environment.
The standard requirement for A Levels at Stamford College is 5 GCSEs at Grade 5/C or above as a minimum for humanities subjects and 6/B in maths for all science subjects.
Each A Level subject has its own additional entry requirements, please see below:
Minimum grade 5/C or above in maths and 6/B in two humanities subjects.
We will review each application on a case-by-case basis to ensure you get a place on the course most suitable for you. We offer an online interview which explain the A Level programme and also allow for an informal chat with the tutor for each subject, before an offer to study with us can be made
Once enrolled one of the ways we make sure the course is right for you is through a very effective ‘6 weeks to success programme’ that operates from the first day you start your course. This includes support such as (but not limited to):
- Allowing you to change subject and course if you change your mind or find the course is not right for you in the first 6 weeks ‑subject to availability
- Moving you between A‑Levels and a Level 3 Diploma if you are finding your current level too hard — subject to availability
- One-to-one reviews with your academic tutor to ensure you are progressing and achieving well
Our course enquiries and admissions team can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any further questions.
How The Course Will Be Assessed
During the two years of study, you will be regularly assessed under test conditions to practise being able to understand and respond to the questions asked in the correct time allocation so that you are fully prepared for the final exams. There is an assessment calendar for A levels which includes timed assessment every 4 to 5 weeks. Feedback gained from these assessments will help you to develop your skills, target your revision and where necessary enable us to provide additional support.
It is important to be aware of what is happening in the news that affects business as it is a dynamic subject. There is a mathematical element to the subject but with a grade 5 in maths you should have no problems with this.
You will study 3 A Level subjects, plus tutorial and career development sessions. Each subject has 6 hours per week contact time, with approximately 4 hours of independent study.
Unfortunately we cannot accept students who only want to study a single A Level subject due to funding limitations.
Potential Future Career
Example job roles:
- Management Trainee
- Events Manager
- Marketing Assistant
- Advertising Assistant
- Human Resources Assistant
- Progress to a HND in Business at University Centre Peterborough or other business degrees at university in areas such as Management, Marketing, HR or Finance. Business apprenticeships in sectors such as Accounting, Business Administration, Customer Service and Management are also available.
You will study the following units:
- What is business?
- Managers, Leadership and Decision-Making
- Human Resources
- Strategic Methods, Direction and Positioning of a business
- Managing Strategic Change
Emily achieved A*, A, A, A* in Biology, Maths, Chemistry and her EPQ. The former Prince William School student progressed to The University of Nottingham to study Chemical Engineering.